Sunday, March 20, 2011

Desert Island CD

Because last year's Desert Island DVD list was such a big smash Castor from Anomalous Material has devised a new list in which we pick 12 songs that we would take with us on a desert island and they all need to be from movie soundtracks. So, in no particular order:

1. Nine Inc Nails - Dead Souls (The Crow)



I think the Crow is a great movie from Alex Proyas and Nine Inch Nails are one of my favourite bands. The band's cover of the Joy Division song is what every cover should be: a faithful interpretation of the original while an update by the new band. Long before The Social Network Trent Reznor was already becoming a VIP soundtrack artist.

2. Elvis Costello - She (Notting Hill)



Costello is one of my favourite vocalists and although I love everything from his snotty early punk days to his transformation into country and pop and everything else under the musical rainbow I don't think he's ever let his silky smooth vocals soar over a song quite like they do on this one.

3. Trisha Yearwood - HowDo I Live(Con Air)



Funny, Con Air was on my Desert Island DVD list as well and maybe this song has something to do with that. Usually not a fan of pop country, there's something about this song that sets the tone for the whole movie, making it more human and grounded than usual big budget action vehicles. When Nic Cage meets his daughter for the first time at the end and hands her the dirty pink bunny while this song plays my heart skips a beat every time.

4. R. Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly (Space Jam)



There was a time, circa grade 6 or 7 where, when I wasn't playing basketball with friends I was wathing Space Jam and when I wasn't watching Space Jam I was listening to the Space Jam soundtrack and it was this song that always struck me the most. I love how it builds to the huge emotional payoff at the end.

5. Another Day (Rent)



I love musicals and Rent is my favourite and this song just embodies everything I love about it.

6. Michael Bolton - Go The Distance (Hercules)



There are two Disney songs I love and this is one of them. Just such a lovely song.

7. Part of Your Wold (The Little Mermaid)



Here's the other one

8. Come What May (Moulin Rouge)



Just another one of those wonderful songs that makes a good musical into a great one.

9. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (The Bodyguard)



The ultimate diva sings the ultimate ballad

10. Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philidelphia (Philidelphia)



Few movies have as great an opening credit montage as Philidelpia and that is in part due to Springsteen's heart wrenching ballad. His song from The Wrestler could just as easily have been included but I went for the more ionic one. I just wouldn't want to live the rest of my life without The Boss

11. Josh Groban - Belive (The Polar Express)



Another soaring ballad but another one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite movies. Would come in handy come Christmas time as well.

12. Train - Ordinary (Spider-Man 2)



I guess I need one rock song to offset all the schmaltz

No comments:

Post a Comment